world, americas

New US-bound migrant caravan arrives in Guatemala

Group of more than 700 migrants set off Tuesday to reach US-Mexico frontier as US extends border troop deployment

  | 17.01.2019
New US-bound migrant caravan arrives in Guatemala

BUENOS AIRES 

A fresh group of at least 700 Honduran migrants headed for the U.S. arrived Wednesday at Agua Caliente border crossing on the Guatemalan frontier, according to La Prensa newspaper.

Migrants who held proper documents for travel were allowed to cross into Guatemala as border guards have taken strict measures at 54 checkpoints to prevent migrants cross the Mexican border.

Tania Silva, a migration specialist lawyer, said there is only a slight chance that the migrants will be given the right to asylum by the U.S.

"They run away from violence in their country, but this alone is not a sufficient reason."

"Nearly 90 percent of the applications are denied, and the other 10 percent is represented by lawyers," she said.

The Honduran Foreign Ministry said Wednesday no migrant, who has crossed the border into Mexico since October, has been granted asylum by the U.S. government.

U.S. President Donald Trump warned Tuesday of a "big new" group of migrants coming to the U.S. from Latin America, adding that the newest caravan is coming from Honduras where rampant gang violence and poverty has led many people to leave their countries for the U.S.

Trump has pledged to prevent migrant groups from Central America setting foot on U.S. soil from Mexico, extending a mission to back security along the border with Mexico until September 30.

Reporting by Muhammed Emin Canik:Writing by Erdogan Cagatay Zontur

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
İlgili konular
Bu haberi paylaşın