By Mohammed Amin
Sudanese journalists on Thursday began a three-day strike to protest alleged government efforts to censor coverage of popular demonstrations that have rocked the country in recent days.
In a statement, the Sudanese Journalists’ Network (SJN), an NGO, said the Sudanese security apparatus was trying to stop local newspapers from covering the ongoing protests, which in some cases have turned violent
“We are deeply concerned by the aggressive harassment of journalists [that we have seen] since the protests began,” the statement read.
“Nine of our colleagues have faced abuse -- including arrest, detention
“We have therefore declared a three-day strike to demand that the government respect our right to free expression,” the SJN said.
The NGO went on to assert that some foreign news correspondents had also been stopped from covering the protests, “and in some cases have even been ordered to leave the country”.
Khalid Fathi, editor-in-chief of Sudanese daily Al-Tayyar, told Anadolu Agency that he had been attacked by police on Tuesday while covering protests in downtown Khartoum
Fathi said he had suffered a leg injury after police used
Sudanese security forces on Tuesday dispersed thousands of protesters who had gathered in central Khartoum to demand the resignation of President Omar al-Bashir.
Protesters also decry soaring commodity prices and acute bread shortages.
On Thursday, the Sudan Media Agency, which is known to be close to the security apparatus, reported that a number of officials -- including the prime minister -- had returned their government vehicles to the Council of Ministers as part of austerity measures aimed at curtailing government expenses.
Sudanese state television, meanwhile, has aired footage of 18 students allegedly linked to Israel who