Over 105 bodies found after militia attacks in eastern DR Congo: Report
Vast majority of victims in CODECO attacks are civilians, says monitoring group
At least 107 bodies were found in two villages in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo after attacks by the Cooperative for the Development of Congo (CODECO) group, a watchdog said on Monday.
The bodies were found in the villages of Drodro and Largu and surrounding areas in Djugu territory and Ituri province following attacks by CODECO on Sunday and Monday, the Kivu Security Tracker, which focuses on violence in eastern DR Congo, said on Twitter.
“The vast majority of the dead are civilians,” the group said.
According to local officials, the CODECO militia targeted a site hosting internally displaced persons in Drodro and part of the village’s parish, torching several shelters as military teams were slow to respond.
Lt. Jules Ngongo, spokesperson for DR Congo forces in Ituri, told reporters that the “army managed to protect the facilities of the parish of Drodro despite several attempts to destroy it.”
Last week, Kivu Security Monitor said at least 1,137 civilians were killed in North Kivu and Ituri since President Felix Tshisekedi proclaimed a “state of siege” in the two restive provinces in May.
The data was shared as the DR Congo parliament extended the emergency measure, under which senior civilian officials were replaced by army officers, for the 12th time, despite reports that it has had little impact in curbing violence.