By Rafiu Ajakaye
At least seven civilians were killed late Wednesday as Boko Haram attacked and burnt down three villages in northeast Nigeria, the country's official news agency NAN reported on Thursday.
The agency said the insurgents attacked Wanori, Kaleri and Amarwa villages that began at around 9.00 p.m. local time (2000GMT).
Villagers said the insurgents shot indiscriminately and looted food items before setting the villages on fire, according to the news agency.
Quoting unnamed security personnel, the agency said military fighter jets were later deployed in the areas but the insurgents had already burnt down the villages in Borno state, the heart of the nine-year insurgency.
The frequency and scope of the latest Boko Haram assault have alarmed security analysts and residents in the region, who feared the insurgents might have reorganized, the NAN said.
Last week, the militants allegedly launched multiple assaults on military posts and stole weapons in the region.