UN warns 30,000 already displaced from Syria's Idlib
Half of displaced staying in camps, UN Secretary General spokesman says
By Michael Hernandez
At least 30,000 residents have already been displaced from northwestern Syria's Idlib province, the UN Secretary General's spokesman warned Monday.
Stephane Dujarric told reporters at the UN's New York headquarters the majority of those displaced between Sept. 1 - 9 have fled to northern Idlib near the Turkish border amid an escalating air and ground offensive by
Roughly half of the displaced are staying in camps, Dujarric said.
“We remain concerned about the situation of 3 million civilians in Idlib where an intensification of fighting has resulted in deaths, injury
The UN Security Council will discuss developments in Idlib on Tuesday, as well a summit last week in Tehran between the presidents of Turkey, Russia
The Syrian regime recently announced plans to launch a major military offensive in the area, which has long been controlled by various armed opposition groups.
The UN warned last week that such an offensive would lead to the "worst humanitarian catastrophe in the 21st century".Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.