RAMALLAH
Palestinian negotiator Mohamed Shtayyeh has said that the Palestinians were still open to holding peace talks with Israel, despite a recent decision to apply for Palestinian membership in several U.N. agencies.
"The Palestinians and Israel are still continuing their meetings," Shtayyeh told a Monday press conference.
He said Palestinian negotiators would meet their Israeli counterparts on Monday in Jerusalem "as part of U.S. efforts to save the stumbling peace talks."
Shtayyeh went on to say the two sides had held a six-hour meeting on Sunday in Jerusalem.
U.S.-sponsored peace talks hit a snag last week over Israel's refusal to release a fourth group of Palestinian prisoners despite earlier pledges to do so.
In response, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas applied for Palestinian membership in 15 U.N. agencies and conventions.
On Friday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said his administration planned to reevaluate its role in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, saying both sides had recently taken unhelpful steps.
Shtayyeh accused Israel of undermining Kerry's efforts to achieve a comprehensive peace in the Middle East.
U.S.-brokered talks between Israeli and Palestinian negotiators resumed in Washington last summer after a nearly three-year hiatus.
During a January visit to the region, Kerry proposed a "framework" for an eventual deal that addresses the fundamental issues of borders, security, the fate of Palestinian refugees and the status of Al-Quds (occupied East Jerusalem).
By Qais Abu Samra
englishnews@aa.com.tr