St. Pauli forward's deal cancelled over Instagram post
St. Pauli from Germany annul Turkish forward Cenk Sahin's contract for voicing support for Turkish anti-terror operation
German football club St. Pauli dissolved the contract of Turkish forward Cenk Sahin via "mutual agreement" on Thursday over the player's support for a Turkish anti-terror operation in northern Syria.
"FC St. Pauli and Cenk Sahin have reached agreement on a mutual termination of the player's contract of employment, which was due to run until 30 June 2021," St. Pauli said on their website.
It stated that both parties -- the club and Sahin, 25 -- would not release details on the agreement.
"It was the best decision for both sides and it's good we've been able to find an amicable solution," said St. Pauli Director of Sport Andreas Bornemann.
Sahin had written on Instagram: "We are standing by our heroic Turkish soldiers and army. Our prayers are with you!"
Sahin had been dropped out of the squad, the club previously announced after an internal review of his social media posts, citing his "repeated disregard for the club's values and the need to protect the player."
In mid-October, St. Pauli let Sahin train with another club as a Turkish team from Istanbul, Medipol Basaksehir accepted his training request.
Turkey on Oct. 9 launched Operation Peace Spring to eliminate YPG/PKK terrorists from northern Syria, east of the Euphrates River in order to secure Turkey’s borders, aid in the safe return of Syrian refugees and ensure Syria’s territorial integrity.
In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU -- has been responsible for the deaths of over 40,000 people, including women, children, and infants. The YPG is the PKK's Syrian offshoot.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.