Middle East

Saudi intercepts ballistic missile by Yemen rebels

Yemeni rebels fire sixth missile into Saudi territory since Ramadan began last month

Mahmoud Barakat   | 05.06.2018
Saudi intercepts ballistic missile by Yemen rebels

By Mohamed Fahd

RIYADH

Saudi air defenses on Tuesday intercepted a ballistic missile fired from Yemen by Houthi rebels into western Saudi Arabia, according to the Saudi-led coalition.

The missile was fired toward the western Yanbu city but was shot down by the Saudi air defenses, the official SPA news agency quoted coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Maliki as saying.

He said the missile was fired with the intention of targeting civilian and populated areas.

No injuries or damage were reported.

The spokesman said Houthi rebels carried out the missile attack while UN special envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths was visiting the Houthi-held Sanaa to seek peace in the country.

Tuesday’s missile attack was the sixth by Houthi rebels since the start of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, which began last month.

Impoverished Yemen has been wracked by conflict since 2014, when the Houthis overran much of the country, including capital Sanaa.

The conflict escalated in 2015 when Saudi Arabia and its Sunni Arab allies launched a wide-ranging military campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi gains in Yemen and shoring up the country’s Saudi-backed government.

Riyadh has repeatedly accused the Houthis of acting as a proxy force for Shia Iran, Saudi Arabia’s arch-foe in the region.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın