World, Middle East

Houthi rebels take district in S. Yemen: Commander

At least 10 Houthis killed fighting pro-government forces in Yemen's southern Dhale province, according to military source

15.05.2017
Houthi rebels take district in S. Yemen: Commander FILE PHOTO

SANAA, Yemen

Houthi rebels and allied forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh have captured a district of southern Yemen following clashes with pro-government forces, according to a pro-government commander. 

Abu Jamil al-Maresi told Anadolu Agency on Monday that Houthi fighters had seized the Al-Rabatayn region of Yemen’s southern Dhale province after pro-government fighters had withdrawn from the area.

He said at least 10 Houthi rebels had been killed fighting government forces in the area -- and scores more injured -- within the past two days alone.

“Pro-government forces withdrew from the area after their ammunition supplies were exhausted,” al-Maresi said.

Impoverished Yemen has remained in a state of civil war since 2014, when the Houthis and their allies overran capital Sanaa and other parts of the country.

In 2015, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen’s pro-Saudi government.

According to UN officials, more than 10,000 Yemenis have been killed in the conflict to date, while more than 11 percent of the country’s total population have been displaced from their homes.

Reporting by Murad al-Arifi; Writing by Mohamed Sabry Emam Muhammed

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın