World, Middle East

After 3-week pause, Gaza Return Marches resume

Marches' Commission warns Israel against targeting demonstrators

Mohammed Majid   | 06.12.2019
After 3-week pause, Gaza Return Marches resume FILE PHOTO

GAZA, Palestine

The Higher Commission of the Great March of Return and Breaking of the Siege of Gaza warned Israel on Friday against targeting the marches, scheduled to resume on Friday after a three-week halt. 

The commission which was formed by Palestinian factions in Gaza said in a statement that the great return marches would resume, calling Palestinians to participate in the demonstrations dubbed "The march continues".

Confirming the popular and peaceful nature of the demonstrations, it said it considers the march part of the Palestinian struggle against Israeli occupation.

After Israel escalated attacks against Gaza last month, the commission announced the suspension of the return marches to avoid casualties among Palestinians as Israel would target the demonstrators.

Since the Gaza rallies began in March last year, nearly 270 protesters have been martyred -- and thousands more wounded -- by Israeli forces at the security fence areas around Gaza.

Demonstrators demand an end to Israel’s 13-year-old blockade around the Gaza Strip, which has shattered the coastal enclave’s economy and deprived its two million inhabitants of free movement in and out from Gaza, preventing the entry of many basic amenities.

* Ahmed Asmar contributed to this report from Ankara

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın