World, Middle East

1 Palestinian succumbs to wounds from Al-Aqsa clashes

126 Palestinians also injured in clashes with Israeli forces as Palestinians return to Al-Aqsa Thursday

1 Palestinian succumbs to wounds from Al-Aqsa clashes


One Palestinian on Thursday succumbed to injuries received earlier this week in clashes with Israeli forces around Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque, Palestine's Health Ministry announced. 

The death added to the casualties around the holy site, as three Palestinians were killed last Friday protesting the measures around the holy site. Three Israelis were also killed in an attack in a settlement in the West Bank.

 According to healthcare workers, some 126 Palestinians were also injured on Thursday when Palestinians returned to the mosque to worship, after Israel removed metal detectors.

 The injured including 40 injured by rubber bullets, 86 suffering from tear gas inhalation, and at least 15 fractures, the Palestinian Red Crescent told Anadolu Agency. Some 21 were transferred to hospitals in Jerusalem, it added.

 Muslims’ celebratory return to Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque turned sour Thursday afternoon when clashes abruptly broke out between Israeli forces and young Palestinians.

 The Palestinians, jubilant to return after nearly two weeks of protesting new Israeli security measures, entered through the Bab Hutta gate to the holy site, but those already inside began throwing stones after they heard the sound of stun grenades from the pathway up to the gate.

 Despite the mosque loudspeakers urging people to retreat and pray, many continued clashing with Israeli forces, a dozen of whom advanced into the compound to disperse the crowds.

 At one point Israeli forces forced everyone into the mosque, throwing stun grenades in as people tried to close the door, an Anadolu Agency reporter saw at the scene. 

 Old City gates closed

 Israeli police also closed Jerusalem's Old City gates and prevented Palestinians from entering, Firas al-Dibs, a spokesman for the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf, told Anadolu Agency.

 “The police deployed dozens of Israeli officers at the gates, closed down the holy compound, and prevented Palestinians from praying at the mosque,” he added.

 Meanwhile, thousands joined a congregational prayer led by the mosque’s clergy, who had been carried in on the shoulders of the celebrating crowds.

 The return followed Israel agreeing to remove controversial metal detectors, installed after a deadly July 14 shootout at the holy site. Palestinians refused to accept the new security measures, calling them part of Israeli efforts to control Al-Aqsa.

 The city of Jerusalem is sacred to members of all three Abrahamic faiths -- Muslims, Jews and Christians -- and the Al-Aqsa Mosque represents the Islamic world's third-holiest site.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın