A man has died of coronavirus in Portugal, the country's Health Minister Marta Temid told a press conference on Monday, announcing the country’s first coronavirus causality.
Portugal has 331 confirmed cases of coronavirus but the government suspects there have been more than 2,900 cases since January, according to Portuguese Health Ministry data.
The virus’ first Portuguese victim was an 80-year-old man with other medical conditions, a former physical therapist for Portuguese football team Estrela da Amadora.
He had been in Santa Maria Hospital in Lisbon. The country currently has 139 other coronavirus patients in its hospitals.
Portugal has shut the doors of all of its schools and nightclubs.
The country on Monday also halted tourists coming through its border with Spain.
Official data show that the highest number of Portugal’s imported cases – 16 – have come from its Iberian neighbor, which is suffering from one of Europe’s most devastating outbreaks.
Spain now has over 9,000 confirmed cases and 300 deaths from the illness.
Portuguese Health Ministry data also says the country has 18 active transmission chains.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.