Budapest Process calls for global support on migration
Call for action issued at interregional forum on migration in Istanbul
By Faruk Zorlu
The participating states of the Budapest Process on Wednesday called for international cooperation on migration management and immigration rights.
A call for action was issued in the 6th Ministerial Conference of Budapest Process, an interregional forum on migration, in Istanbul.
The 5-year action plan complements the Istanbul Commitments on the Silk Routes Partnership for Migration, a political declaration to manage migration flow which was adopted in 2013 at the last Budapest Process conference.
The action plan includes six agreed-upon goals:
1. Prevent and counteract irregular migration, facilitate return and re-admission of irregular migrants, and combat criminal networks involved in smuggling of migrants.
2. Better organize and improve conditions for legal migration and mobility.
3. Support the integration of migrants and counteract phenomena of discrimination, racism and xenophobia.
4. Strengthen the positive impact of migration on development, both in countries of origin and of destination.
5. Prevent and combat trafficking in persons, address its root causes and provide adequate protection and support to trafficked persons.
6. Promote international protection and the respect of the rights of refugees in line with international standards.
Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.