The Netherlands-based tank storage company Royal Vopak acquired a 49% stake in Colombia's sole LNG import facility, the company announced Thursday.
Vopak said the facility, also known as Sociedad Portuaria el Cayao, or SPEC, is located in Cartagena and consists of an LNG jetty, onshore infrastructure and a 9.2 kilometer-long gas pipeline that connects SPEC to the national gas grid
SPEC started operations in 2016.
Promigas, a private natural gas sector company in Latin America with 45 years of experience providing mass access to natural gas, holds the majority 51% share in SPEC while Royal Vopak now holds the remaining 49%.
"We are very much looking forward to this partnership with Promigas and to enter into the growing Colombian LNG market. This is another growth step in our LNG portfolio and it fits very well in our ambitions to grow and diversify our service offering in LNG," Eelco Hoekstra, chairman and CEO of Vopak said.
By Murat Temizer