Egypt and Algeria on Sunday announced their support for the cease-fire in Libya, which was jointly urged by Turkey and Russia earlier this week.
“Egypt welcomes the unconditional ceasefire declared in Libya and expresses its support to all who will prevent the bloodshed of our brotherly people of Libya,” Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
The statement added that Egypt supports a comprehensive political solution to protect the unity and territorial integrity of its neighbor countries, including Libya.
Meanwhile, Algeria’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement: "Welcoming the cease-fire in Libya, Algeria urges all sides to adhere to the cease-fire and to resume a dialogue process as soon as possible.”
On Saturday, GNA in Tripoli and forces loyal to Libya's renegade Gen. Khalifa Haftar accepted a joint call by Turkey and Russia for a cease-fire.
The cease-fire took effect at midnight local time (2200GMT) and the decision was celebrated with fireworks in Tripoli.
Since the ouster of late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, two seats of power have emerged in Libya: one in eastern Libya supported mainly by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates and the other in Tripoli, which enjoys the UN and international recognition.
On April 4, Haftar launched an offensive to capture Tripoli from the GNA. According to the UN, more than 1,000 people have been killed since the start of the operation and more than 5,000 others injured.
Reporting By Mehmet Nuri Ucar and Cagri Kosak
Writing by Gozde Bayar