Turkey, Politics, World, americas, middle east, top headline

Erdogan: Turkey ready to take over security in Manbij

President Erdogan, Trump agree to take joint measures to clear Daesh's remnants in Syria and prevent group's resurgence

Jeyhun Aliyev,Seyit Ahmet Aytaç  | 21.01.2019
Erdogan: Turkey ready to take over security in Manbij

By Mehmet Tosun

ANKARA 

Turkey is ready to take over the security in Syria's Manbij without delay, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said during a phone conversation with his U.S. counterpart late Sunday.

A statement from the Turkish presidency said Erdogan and U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to take joint measures to clear Daesh's remnants in Syria and prevent the group's resurgence.

Erdogan said that Turkey will not allow PKK and its Syrian affiliate PYD/YPG to destabilize northeastern Syria.

The two leaders also discussed the bilateral relations, as well as the latest developments in Syria.

Erdogan expressed his condolences to Trump over American staff who lost their lives in last week's terrorist attack in Manbij, adding that it was a provocation to influence the U.S. decision to withdraw from Syria.

“President Trump spoke with President Erdogan of Turkey today on a number of important bilateral issues. President Erdogan expressed his condolences for the tragic loss of American lives in Manbij, Syria this week," White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement.

"President Trump underscored the importance of defeating terrorist elements that remain in Syria. The two leaders agreed to continue to pursue a negotiated solution for northeast Syria that achieves our respective security concerns. They also discussed their mutual interest in expanding the trade relationship between the United States and Turkey,”. Sanders said.

At least four Americans were killed, and three others injured in an apparent suicide attack in Manbij, Syria, the Pentagon said last week.

U.S. Central Command said two service members died, as well as a Pentagon civilian and a contractor, while conducting a "local engagement." A defense official speaking on condition of anonymity said the contractor was working as an interpreter.

All of the wounded Americans were service members, according to the command.

An unknown number of local civilians were also killed and injured.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.