Mariam Ashalem De Andres
21 August 2026•Update: 21 August 2026
The death toll from the earthquake in Colombia has risen to 321, the National Unit for Disaster Risk Management (UNGRD) said Friday in a post on US social media company X.
The UNGRD said 257 people remained missing, while 284,185 people, representing 146,188 families, had been affected by the disaster.
The latest figures cover 15 departments and 476 municipalities across Colombia, according to the disaster management agency.
So far, around 31,445 homes have been destroyed and another 163,884 damaged. A total of 467 buildings have also collapsed, mainly in Cali and Pereira in western Colombia, two of the worst-affected cities.
The earthquake also damaged 351 healthcare facilities, 3,579 schools, 4,611 community centers, 435 roads and 180 vehicle and pedestrian bridges.
Search and rescue teams continue operations in affected areas as authorities work to locate missing people, provide assistance and assess the extent of the damage.
The UNGRD is coordinating the national emergency response and compiling information from local authorities and emergency agencies.
Local authorities and emergency services have deployed personnel and resources to assist residents and support relief operations.
The casualty figures remain provisional and could rise as rescue operations continue and authorities verify information from affected areas.