Turkey on Tuesday extended condolences to Burkina Faso after an attack on a military camp caused casualties.
“We are saddened by the news that fourteen soldiers lost their lives and seven soldiers were injured during the attack on a military camp located in the Yirgou settlement, in the Center-Nord region of Burkina Faso, on October 4, 2021,” the Turkish Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
The ministry “strongly condemned” the heinous attack in north-central Sanmatenga province.
“We offer our sincere condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the attack, as well as to the friendly and brotherly people and Government of Burkina Faso, and wish a speedy recovery to the wounded,” it added.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but sources said search operations are underway to find the attackers.
Last month, Burkina Faso’s authorities said unidentified armed men killed six gendarmeries and wounded seven others in an attack on a convoy of vehicles returning from a gold mine in the eastern part of the country.
Groups with links to the Daesh/ISIS terror group are known to frequently carry out similar attacks in the country.
Some 480 civilians were killed in attacks orchestrated by insurgents in Burkina Faso between May and August, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) said last month.
More than 1.4 million people have been forced to flee their homes in Burkina Faso due to the attacks, according to the NRC.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.