Africa

Nigeria: Abducted schoolgirls released, says governor

Bello Matawalle says several hurdles were crossed before girls release

Olarewaju Kola   | 02.03.2021
Nigeria: Abducted schoolgirls released, says governor

LAGOS, Nigeria

Schoolgirls kidnapped by gunmen at a public school in the northwestern Nigerian state of Zamfara last week have been released, the state governor said on Tuesday.

"Alhamdulillah! It gladdens my heart to announce the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe from captivity," Bello Matawalle tweeted.

He said the release came early morning following "the scaling of several hurdles." He did not elaborate on whether a ransom was paid to the gunmen during negotiation.

He asked Nigerians to rejoice with the freed schoolgirls over their safe return.

Officials had said that 317 female students of Government Girls' Secondary School in the remote town of Jangebe were kidnapped on Feb. 26.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın