Bashir-era detainees end hunger strike in Sudan
Detainees end hunger strike after court set date for their trial
Former officials of ousted Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir’s regime ended their hunger strike on Wednesday, according to a defense lawyer.
“The detainees ended their hunger strike after they were referred to court,” Ahmed Senussi said in a statement.
A dozen of Bashir-era officials, including Ibrahim Ghandour, the head of Sudan’s former ruling party, went on hunger strike last week in protest of their detention without trial.
Senussi said prosecutors accused the detainees of forming terrorist groups and undermining constitutional order.
He said the court set January 23 for holding the first session of their trial.
Families of the detainees also confirmed in a statement that they had ended their hunger strike.
Bashir, who ruled Sudan for three decades, was removed from power by the military in April, 2019 following protests against deteriorating economic conditions in the country.
Dozens of Bashir-era officials have been arrested by the military authorities on charges of "attempting to overthrow the government."
Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
* Writing by Bassel Barakat