World, Middle East

UK-based watchdog says 64 killed since Syria deal

Syrian Network for Human Rights says it has documented 312 violations since the deal came into force on Feb. 27

07.03.2016
UK-based watchdog says 64 killed since Syria deal

Damascus

By Mohamed Shaikh Yusuf

ISTANBUL

At least 64 people have been killed in Syria since last week’s cessation-of-hostilities agreement between the Syrian regime and opposition forces, a U.K.-based monitoring group has said.

In a statement released Monday, the Syrian Network for Human Rights said it documented 312 violations since the deal came into force on Feb. 27.

Regime forces killed two opposition figures Sunday, taking the tally to 64 people, including civilians, since the temporary deal, it added.

Syria has been locked in a vicious civil war since early 2011 when the Bashar al-Assad regime cracked down on pro-democracy protests with unexpected ferocity.

Since then, more than 250,000 people have been killed and more than 10 million displaced, according to the UN.

Last week, the U.S. and Russia -- the latter of which has been staging airstrikes against positions held by Assad’s opponents since last September – brokered a two-week agreement to cease hostilities between the Syrian regime and opposition forces.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın