World

Short circuit caused Istanbul mosque fire

Fire started in electrical cable and spread through wooden flooring, says fire service

Mucahit Turetken   | 17.11.2020
Short circuit caused Istanbul mosque fire

ISTANBUL

The fire that gutted the 17th-century mosque along the Bosphorus was caused by a short circuit, the Fire Department said Tuesday.

The fire broke out Sunday afternoon at the mosque in Istanbul's Uskudar district.

It started in the electrical cables and then spread through the wooden flooring, the department added.

The mosque, mainly made from wood, was built by Vani Mehmet Efendi, a Turkish scholar, in 1670.

The blaze was put out by fire fighters and coast guard teams.

*Writing by Dilara Hamit

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın