ISTANBUL
Here is a rundown of all the news you need to start your Tuesday, including US President Donald Trump announcing a 20-point plan to end Israel's war on Gaza; Egypt and Qatar delivering Gaza ceasefire proposal to Hamas; Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu apologizing to Qatar for Doha strikes; and Germany, France, Poland urging Russia to end ‘hostile acts.’
TOP STORIES
US President Donald Trump announced a 20-point plan that he said, if implemented, would end Israel's war on the besieged Gaza Strip and lead to the release of all hostages who are being held there.
"This afternoon, after extensive consultation with our friends and partners throughout the region, I'm formally releasing our principles for peace, which people have really liked, I must say," Trump told reporters at the White House during a news conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The proposal envisions transforming Gaza into "a deradicalized terror-free zone that does not pose a threat to its neighbors" while ensuring the enclave "will be redeveloped for the benefit of the people of Gaza, who have suffered more than enough."
Under the plan, "if both sides agree to this proposal, the war will immediately end" with Israeli forces withdrawing to agreed positions. Within 72 hours of Israel's acceptance, all hostages -- living and deceased -- must be returned, according to the plan's outline, also shared on social media.
Following the hostage releases, Israel would free 250 life-sentence prisoners and 1,700 Gazans detained after Oct. 7, 2023. Hamas members who "commit to peaceful co-existence and to decommission their weapons will be given amnesty."
Egypt and Qatar have handed Hamas a ceasefire proposal presented by US President Donald Trump to end the war in Gaza, according to Egyptian media.
The Al-Qahera News channel, citing an unnamed Egyptian source, said Egyptian and Qatari mediators delivered the American proposal to the Palestinian resistance group.
Hamas affirmed that it is “reviewing the proposal positively and objectively,” the source added.
Trump outlined key points of his Gaza ceasefire plan during a news conference in Washington with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The proposal includes the release of Israeli captives and the disarmament of Hamas.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed regret to Qatari Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani for an attack on Doha he authorized earlier this month, the White House said.
The mea culpa was offered during a trilateral telephone call with US President Donald Trump on the line as he hosted the Israeli leader at the White House.
"Prime Minister Netanyahu expressed his deep regret that Israel’s missile strike against Hamas targets in Qatar unintentionally killed a Qatari serviceman," the White House said in an exceptionally rare formal readout of the call.
"He further expressed regret that, in targeting Hamas leadership during hostage negotiations, Israel violated Qatari sovereignty and affirmed that Israel will not conduct such an attack again in the future," it added.
Germany, France and Poland issued a demand for Russia to end "hostile acts" against NATO allies, warning that airspace violations by Russian forces could trigger a dangerous escalation.
Foreign ministers Johann Wadephul of Germany, Jean-Noel Barrot from France, and Radoslaw Sikorski of Poland -- representing the Weimar Triangle group of EU powers -- issued the statement after talks in Warsaw.
"We reaffirm our unity and unwavering determination to defend European peace, security and common fundamental values against Russia's ongoing war of aggression," the ministers declared in a statement
NEWS IN BRIEF
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
President Donald Trump announced he will impose a 100% tariff on all movies made outside the US, claiming the country's film industry has been "stolen" by other countries.
"Our movie making business has been stolen from the United States of America, by other Countries, just like stealing 'candy from a baby'," Trump wrote on his social media platform Truth Social.
He specifically criticized California and its Gov. Gavin Newsom, saying the state "with its weak and incompetent governor, has been particularly hard hit" by foreign competition in filmmaking.
US-based global interactive entertainment firm Electronic Arts (EA) announced a definitive deal to be acquired by an investor consortium comprised of PIF, Silver Lake and Affinity Partners for around $55 billion.
The consortium will acquire 100% of EA, with PIF rolling over its existing 9.9% stake in the company, an EA statement said.
"EA stockholders will receive $210 per share in cash. The per share purchase price represents a 25% premium to EA’s unaffected share price of $168.32 at market close on September 25," the statement said.
news_share_descriptionsubscription_contact
