Europe

French PM reacts to church pedophilia allegations

Archbishop of Lyon is accused of covering up sexual abuse of young boys by a priest in the 1980s

Hajer M'tırı  | 15.03.2016 - Update : 19.03.2016
French PM reacts to church pedophilia allegations French Prime Minister Manuel Valls

Ile-de-France

PARIS

 French Prime Minister Manuel Valls has spoken out on a purported pedophilia scandal linked to the Catholic Church in Lyon, calling on a cardinal accused of a cover-up to "take responsibility".

Three alleged victims, who were boy scouts in the 1980s, claim they were molested by a priest, Bernard Preynat, between 1986 and 1991. An initial complaint was filed against the priest in 2009, but was dismissed by a French court because of a lapse of time.

The victims came forward again in January and Preynat was charged after he admitted wrongdoing.

Earlier this month, the French authorities handed Cardinal Philippe Barbarin – currently serving as Archbishop of Lyon – and five other senior church officials, preliminary charges over a failure to report a crime and endangering others.

"The only message I have, without ... taking the place of the Church, of the judges – because an investigation is under way – is that he [Barbarin] must take responsibility, speak and act," Valls told French broadcaster BFM TV.

Asked whether he meant Cardinal Barbarin should resign, Valls said: "It is his responsibility, but he must also understand the pain."

"I expect not only words, but acts," the prime minister added.

Barbarin has denied any cover-up and said in a statement that he heard about the abuse from the victims in 2009 when they filed the first complaint.

The cardinal asked for people to “allow justice to take its course and for his presumption of innocence to be respected”.

The victims have now reportedly written to the Vatican to ask for an audience with Pope Francis about the alleged cover-up.

One of the victims – identified only as ‘Pierre’ – told French daily Le Figaro on Monday that Barbarin was aware of the abuse the priest had carried out, but claimed he did nothing.

“It’s not for me to be ashamed; I do not act out of revenge…but out of a desire to contribute as people are becoming aware of what happened.

Pierre added: “When someone is aware of such facts, they must act, especially if you have the responsibility. Cardinal Barbarin had that power to act.”


Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın