Turkish PM: We lost 99 in Ankara blasts
Ahmet Davutoglu says fatalities include one Palestinian national
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has said the latest death toll from Saturday's Ankara terror attack is 99.
"We tragically lost 99 lives. Ninety-four of them were handed over to their families, while the families of four others – Turkish citizens – were informed only," he told a live interview on private Show TV channel on Wednesday.
He also said that the dead included a Palestinian national, adding that they are waiting for his family to come and take the body.
Early Saturday morning saw twin suicide bombings rock Ankara’s main train station, killing dozens of people who had gathered for a peace rally; hundreds more were injured.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus on Monday, two suicide bombers carried out the attack, each of whom used about five kilograms of TNT explosives.
The blasts have shaken Turkey as the country faces a general election re-run on Nov. 1, while counter-terrorism operations continue in the southeast and an ongoing civil war rages on along its southern border in Syria.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.