By Yusuf Ozcan
A French prosecutor on Wednesday said that the armed attack in Strasbourg was an act of terrorism.
Speaking at a news conference regarding the incident, Remy Heitz said: "Once again, terrorism has struck our territory, in Strasbourg," adding that terror threat still remained.
The prosecutor stated that the assailant was Cherif C. (29), who had a total of 27 convictions in France, Germany and Switzerland over crimes of theft and rape.
He noted that the attacker was radicalized in prison and was on a French watchlist called “Fiche S,” which is used by police to flag someone who is considered a threat to national security.
Heitz went on to say that the manhunt was underway.
The prosecutor said the attacker was shot in the arm before he fled. He noted that two people were killed and one was in a vegetative state, while the number of the wounded people was 12 -- six of whom were critically injured.
In addition, the prosecutor pointed out that four relatives of the gunmen were detained and Paris Prosecutor's Office launched an investigation into the matter.
Benjamin Griveaux, a government spokesman, said after the cabinet meeting that President Emmanuel Macron preferred not to make a statement while the operation was ongoing.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner previously announced that anti-terror action plan was raised to "attack emergency", which was approved by Elysee Palace in 2016.
Attack Emergency can be activated when an attack is imminent or right after it takes place. This system enables closing highway and metros and education, and education could be paused.
On Tuesday night, a gunman opened fire at a Christmas market in Place Kleber square before leaving the scene. The French police stated that security forces raided gunman's house but failed to find him.
* Ali Murat Alhas contributed to this story from Ankara