Turkey

Ataturk airport resumes operations after terror attack

Flights continue at one of Europe's busiest airports hours after it was struck by terrorists

Hatice Kesgin   | 29.06.2016
Ataturk airport resumes operations after terror attack

Ankara

ISTANBUL

Operations at Istanbul's Ataturk International Airport has resumed, just hours after a deadly terror attack, according to Turkey’s prime minister.

Binali Yildirim told reporters that the airport had been opened for incoming and outgoing flights as of 02.20 a.m. Wednesday (0020 GMT).

Three scheduled flights of Turkish Airlines, the country’s flagship carrier, landed after 04.00 a.m.

Some travelers landing at the airport, one of Europe’s busiest, were kept inside aircraft in the immediate aftermath of the attack that killed 36 victims and injured nearly 150 others late Tuesday night.

Passengers were allowed off the planes after the facilities were reopened.

Airport authorities said passengers departing from the airport would be allowed inside terminals after 5.00 a.m.

Intensive efforts are underway to remove debris and replace damaged equipment.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın