Middle East

Rocket barrage launched from southern Lebanon toward northern Israel

At least 50 rockets fired toward Upper Galilee, says Israeli media

Naim Berjawi, Said Amori  | 04.08.2024 - Update : 05.08.2024
Rocket barrage launched from southern Lebanon toward northern Israel Rockets fired from southern Lebanon are intercepted by Israeli Iron Dome air defence system over the Upper Galilee region in northern Israel, on August 03, 2024.

JERUSALEM

A rocket barrage was launched from southern Lebanon toward Israel early Sunday, according to media reports.

Israeli Channel 14 reported that at least 50 rockets were fired toward the Upper Galilee.

Sirens were heard as a result of the launches.

Hamas and Iran have vowed to retaliate for the assassination of the group’s political bureau chief Ismail Haniyeh earlier this week in the Iranian capital of Tehran, while Hezbollah pledged to respond to the killing of its commander, Faud Shukr in Beirut.

Fears have grown about a full-blown war between Israel and Hezbollah amid a months-long exchange of cross-border fire.

The escalation comes against the backdrop of an Israeli onslaught on Gaza, which has killed nearly 40,000 victims since October, following an attack by the Palestinian group Hamas.


*Writing by Rania Abu Shamala


Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın