OIC condemns attack on Egyptian troops in Sinai
Egyptian army says 15 troops were killed, injured in militant attack in Sinai
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Sunday condemned a militant attack that killed and injured 15 troops in Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula.
In a statement, the Jeddah-based grouping underlined solidarity with the Egyptian authorities against terrorism that seek to harm the country's security and stability.
OIC Secretary-General Yousef bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen offered his condolences to families of the victims and the Egyptian government, reiterating the OIC condemnation of all forms of terrorism.
On Saturday, the Egyptian military said 15 troops were killed and injured when militants attacked a military checkpoint in the northern Sinai Peninsula.
Since February of last year, the Egyptian army has been waging extensive operations against Sinai-based militants suspected of carrying out a spate of attacks against security forces.
According to figures released by the military, at least dozens of Egyptian soldiers and hundreds of militants have been killed since the operation began.
The Sinai Peninsula has remained the epicenter of a militant insurgency since mid-2013 when Mohamed Morsi -- Egypt’s first freely elected president -- was ousted in a military coup.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.