World, Middle East

Lebanon confirms fourth death from coronavirus

Health ministry said 13 new infections were recorded over the past 24 hours, bringing total infections to 133

18.03.2020
Lebanon confirms fourth death from coronavirus

BEIRUT

Lebanon confirmed a new death from the coronavirus on Wednesday, taking the total fatalities to four, according to the Health Ministry.


A ministry statement said a man in his 90s died from the disease.


The ministry said 13 new infections were recorded over the past 24 hours, bringing the total infections to 133.


Three people have been discharged from hospitals after recovering from the virus so far, the ministry said.


Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab declared a state of emergency on Sunday due to the outbreak of the coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19.


Worldwide, out of over 203,500 confirmed cases, the death toll now exceeds 8,100, while more than 82,500 patients have recovered, according to Worldometer, a statistics website that compiles new case numbers.


The number of active cases is more than 112,500 -- 94% mild and 6% in critical condition, according to the website.


The World Health Organization has declared Europe the new epicenter of the virus, which first emerged in Wuhan, China last December.


*Writing by Zehra Nur Duz

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın