Middle East

Iranian president urges minorities to take gov't posts

Hassan Rouhani makes assertion during visit to Iran’s predominantly Sunni Golestan province

Maımaıtımıng Yılıxıatı   | 15.01.2019
Iranian president urges minorities to take gov't posts

By Muhammet Kursun

TEHRAN

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday called on minority groups -- such as Sunni Muslims and Turkmen -- to play a greater role in the government.

The president made the assertion during a visit to Iran’s predominantly Sunni Golestan province.

“Turkmen and Sunnis deserve to hold more positions in government,” he was quoted as saying by local media outlets.

“Our well-informed, highly skilled human resources should be utilized,” he added. “It’s both their right and the right thing to do.”

Rouhani also reaffirmed his intention to set a 30-percent quota for women in government.

Shia Muslims account for roughly 90 percent of Iran’s population of some 80 million. The remaining 10 percent -- which includes Turkmen, Kurds and Baluchis -- is comprised almost entirely of Sunni Muslims.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.