Turkey, July 15 coup bid

Turkey: 3,947 judges, prosecutors sacked since coup bid

First instance trial of 279 of 289 cases has concluded since 2016 defeated coup in Turkey, justice minister says

Emin Avundukluoglu   | 10.11.2020
Turkey: 3,947 judges, prosecutors sacked since coup bid

ANKARA

Turkey's justice minister on Tuesday said that a total of 3,947 judges and prosecutors have been dismissed since the 2016 defeated coup orchestrated by the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO).

First instance trial of 279 out of 289 coup cases has concluded so far, Abdulhamit Gul told the members of Turkish parliament's planning and budget committee.

"4,154 defendants were given the punishment they deserved," he added.

The justice minister also said that 355 penal institutions failing to comply with the standards have been closed since 2002.

The FETO terror group and its US-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016 in Turkeywhich left 251 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

Turkey accuses FETO of a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.

Gul asserted that it is only possible with a just and transparent state of law that economic growth, development, prosperity, and stability could be maintained.

"Everyone's private life, trade secrets, personal data are under a full, complete and strong legal protection [in Turkey] in accord with universal principles," he said.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.