Europe

No child killed in Berlin attack: interior minister

Thomas de Maiziere says 14 seriously injured victims still under treatment

21.12.2016
No child killed in Berlin attack: interior minister People lay flowers and light candles to pay tribute to the victims at the scene of an attack on a Christmas market in Berlin, Germany on December 20, 2016. At least 12 people were killed and 48 others injured when a truck crashed into a crowded Christmas market in the German capital. (Maurizio Gambarini - Anadolu Agency)

By Erbil Basay

BERLIN

No children but only young people were killed in a deadly truck attack in Berlin, Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said Tuesday.

"Six of the dead in the attack have been identified so far," Maiziere told German broadcaster ZDF.

He acknowledged that identification is a complicated process and said authorities did not know whether foreigners were among the dozen victims who lost their lives in the attack.

Maiziere said 14 victims who were seriously injured were still being treated.

A total of 48 people were injured when the truck crashed into a crowded Christmas market in the German capital.

Maiziere said he is hopeful progress would be made in the investigation.

"We can't rule out that the perpetrator is on the run," he said.

A Pakistani asylum seeker who was initially held after the attack but released because of a lack of evidence "did not constitute a problem in the investigation," he said, “It is an investigation, not a disruption."

He said there was no concrete clue about the attack before it occurred but police could not be blamed and authorities did well during the crisis.

The Daesh terror group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın