The NATO leaders summit is underway in Madrid. Here are the major decisions taken during the 1st working session on Wednesday:
- New Strategic Concept, the blueprint for the alliance in a more dangerous and competitive world, endorsed
- More military and financial support to Ukraine for the longer term
- NATO Innovation Fund launched to harness the best new technology for transatlantic security
- Aim to cut emissions by NATO bodies and commands by at least 45% by 2030, move towards Net Zero by 2050
- Fundamental shift in defense and deterrence to respond to a new security reality. This includes strengthening forward defenses, enhancing battlegroups in the eastern part of the alliance, transforming NATO Response Force and increasing the number of high readiness forces to well over 300,000.
- Historic decision to invite Finland and Sweden to become members of the alliance