By Hasan Esen
Jens Stoltenberg has confirmed Friday that some Turkish soldiers working in NATO structure applied for asylum following the coup attempt in Turkey.
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told at the event on the European Defense and Transatlantic Security in Brussels organized by the think tank, German Marshall Fund.
“It is true that some Turkish officials working in the NATO command structure have applied for asylum in their countries of residency,” he said.
Stoltenberg added that there has been a change in the Turkish personnel in NATO-led military posts after the officials left their positions.
“I think Turkey will fill these places. It is up to Turkey who will be appointed here,” he stated.
Stoltenberg did not comment on how many Turkish officials made asylum applications.
Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik said Thursday that at least 3,665 army personnel had been dismissed from the military so far since the July 15 coup bid.
However, no government officials in Turkey have specified how many of these dismissed personnel were belonging to the NATO structure.
The July 15 defeated coup left 248 martyred, and around 2,200 others wounded.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.