Middle East, Europe

France condemns Assad regime attacks on Eastern Ghouta

Regime should respect its international obligations and allow access for humanitarian convoy, medical evacuations

09.03.2018
France condemns Assad regime attacks on Eastern Ghouta Smoke rises after Assad regime's airstrike hit residential areas in Eastern Ghouta despite decisions to implement a ceasefire made separately by Russia and the UN Security Council, in Damascus, Syria on March 5, 2018.

By Hajer M'tiri

PARIS

France on Friday condemned Bashar al-Assad regime and its allies for targeting Syria's besieged Eastern Ghouta region, despite an adoption of UN Security Council resolution late last month, which called for a 30-day cease-fire.

"France condemns the continued intensification of the military offensive conducted by the Syrian regime and its allies in eastern Ghouta, in flagrant violation of UN Security Council Resolution 2401, which demands an immediate cessation of hostilities on the whole Syrian territory," said a statement issued by French Foreign Ministry.

Assad regime's "indiscriminate attacks" have caused more than 800 civilian casualties since Feb. 18, the statement said.

The "systematic” targeting of health personnel and infrastructure have led the humanitarian convoy, who was trying to reach the area on March 5, to interrupt its mission and another one planned for Thursday to be cancelled, it added.

"In this context, France once again denounces these violations of international humanitarian law and reiterates its request to Russia, which approved Security Council Resolution 2401, to do everything in its power to ensure that the violence ceases as soon as possible," the ministry said.

It urged Assad regime to respect its international obligations and allow access for humanitarian convoys and emergency medical evacuations "without delay."

Eastern Ghouta, a Damascus suburb, has been under siege for the last five years and humanitarian access to the area, which is home to some 400,000 people, has been completely cut off.

In the past eight months, forces of the Bashar al-Assad regime have intensified their siege of Eastern Ghouta, making it nearly impossible for food or medicine to get into the district and leaving thousands of patients in need of treatment.

On Feb. 24, the UN Security Council adopted a resolution calling for a 30-day cease-fire in Syria without delay.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said Wednesday its medical facilities have received over 1,000 dead and 4,800 wounded in Syria's rebel-held Eastern Ghouta in just two weeks.

The group said the numbers -- dating from the start of the renewed Syrian regime offensive on Feb. 18 until March 4 -- are an "underestimate" and do not include the data of all MSF-supported medical facilities or facilities not supported by the humanitarian organization.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın