Strikes, demonstrations, and protests for the environment continued across the globe in the fourth month of 2021, with protesters demanding more decisive action to tackle climate change.
Activists and concerned citizens continued their online campaigns and street protests while keeping socially distant due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Events included Fridays for Future protests launched in 2018 by Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg and various campaigns worldwide against anti-environmental practices and attitudes, including global climate strikes and several virtual climate strikes.
The following is a timeline of protests and demonstrations compiled by the Anadolu Agency.
- Youth Advocates for Climate Action Philippines (YACAP) commemorates thousands of farmers who staged huge protests in 2016 across various parts of the Philippines against fertilizers and pesticides as they struggled during the El Nino season.
- On the first Fridays for Future strike of the month, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change which is also supported and retweeted by the nonprofit's Twitter account.
- Police arrest environment activists who staged a demonstration in front of Singha Durbar in Nepal's capital Kathmandu while demanding that the government implement a "climate, health emergency."
- On the second Fridays for Future strike of April, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- Activists hold an online demonstration, gather for the virtual meeting as part of the #FightFor1Point5 slogan.
- Rise up Movement shows solidarity with East African people who are protesting against the construction of a crude oil pipeline that will possibly leave as many as 14,000 households displaced.
- Climate activists, including Greta Thunberg and Ugandan activist Vanessa Nakate meet at the online Global Just Recovery Gathering.
- Over an alleged secret deal with Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro, Fridays For Future movement "warns" US President Joe Biden to not trust Bolsonaro and calls on Biden to talk with indigenous people in the Amazon rainforest if he wants to help the rainforest.
- Fridays for Future holds the third strike of the month, with climate activists and environmental protesters raising awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- 13-year-old Iraqi activist Farah Mahmoud marks the 57th week of her climate strike by holding a sign reading "climate emergency" on Twitter.
- Climate activists and environmental protesters criticize the Leaders Summit on Climate, which is held virtually by US President Joe Biden with the attendance of 40 world leaders over "not taking real action needed for climate justice."
- Fridays For Future movements hold "Twitter chat" with the EU Environment Agency on the occasion of Earth Day by openly asking the agency a series of questions on solutions for climate change.
- On the fourth Fridays for Future strike of the month, by staging a small number of physical protests as well as online demonstrations, climate activists and environmental protesters continue to raise awareness about climate change and environmental issues.
- During the fourth Fridays strike, activists share messages on Earth Day, which is marked on April 22 around the world.
- 101 Nobel Laureates urge world leaders to keep fossil fuels in the ground by issuing a written statement.
- Climate activists welcome the German Constitutional Court's decision that climate justice is a fundamental right. A year ago, activists filed a case against the German government and its climate law.
- The last Fridays for Future strike of the month is held on the last day of April across the globe.
- During the month, residents of Ikizdere district in Turkey's Black Sea province of Rize continued to protest against a quarry project.
- 14-year-old Turkish climate and environmental activist Yagmur Ocak completes her 93rd week of climate strike in Istanbul.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.