World, Azerbaijan Front Line

Azerbaijan downs another Armenian Su-25 fighter jet

Armenian aircraft tried to launch airstrikes on Azerbaijani positions in Jabrayil region, says Defense Ministry

Jeyhun Aliyev   | 18.10.2020
Azerbaijan downs another Armenian Su-25 fighter jet

ANKARA

Azerbaijan on Sunday shot down another Armenian Su-25 fighter jet, according to the country's Defense Ministry – the second Su-25 to be downed in as many days.

In a statement, the ministry said the Su-25 attack aircraft was trying to launch airstrikes on Azerbaijani positions in the Jabrayil region when it was shot down, like its predecessor on Saturday.

The jet was destroyed by Azerbaijani forces at around 12.30 p.m. (0830GMT), the ministry said.

The ministry also announced that a drone of Armenian forces was downed near the Horadiz direction.

"On October 18, at 13:00 [0900GMT], a tactical unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) of the Armenian armed forces, attempted to carry out a flight in the Horadiz direction, was immediately detected and destroyed by Azerbaijan Air Defense Units," said the statement.

Earlier on Saturday, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar congratulated Azerbaijan over phone on shooting down the jets, said Turkey’s Defense Ministry.

On Sunday, Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry announced that Armenian forces had already "grossly violated" a new humanitarian cease-fire only hours old, using large-caliber weapons, mortars and artillery.

The cease-fire – the second since hostilities around Upper Karabakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) began on Sept. 27 – was announced on Saturday and only went into effect at midnight (2000GMT),

The second cease-fire was reached between Baku and Yerevan after the previous Oct. 10 humanitarian cease-fire – meant to allow an exchange of prisoners and the recovery of dead bodies – was breached hours later by Armenian missile attacks on Azerbaijan's city of Ganja, killing 10 people and injuring 35.

Upper Karabakh conflict

Relations between the two former Soviet republics have been tense since 1991 when the Armenian military occupied Upper Karabakh, or Nagorno-Karabakh, an internationally recognized territory of Azerbaijan.

Some 20% of Azerbaijan's territory has remained under illegal Armenian occupation for nearly three decades.

The OSCE Minsk Group – co-chaired by France, Russia, and the US – was formed in 1992 to find a peaceful solution to the conflict, but to no avail. A cease-fire, however, was agreed to in 1994.

Multiple UN resolutions, as well as international organizations, demand the withdrawal of the occupying forces.

World powers, including Russia, France, and the US, have urged a new cease-fire. Turkey, meanwhile, has supported Baku's right to self-defense and demanded the withdrawal of Armenia's occupying forces.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.