At least nine Afghan civilians died when they were caught amid deadly clashes between the Taliban and security forces in the north of the country, an official confirmed on Friday.
Provincial police Spokesman Abdul Kreem told Anadolu Agency that the incident took place in the restive Khwaja Sabz Posh district of Faryab province.
Blaming the Taliban for firing mortar shells on a crowded market, he added that more than 30 were injured in the incident.
Armed clashes between security forces and the militants were currently underway, he noted.
However, Taliban spokesman Qari Yosuf Ahmadi rejected the allegation in a social media post, blaming security forces for the deadly attack.
Earlier this week, Afghan authorities claimed that 151 militants had been killed amid ongoing counter-terrorism operations across the war-ravaged country.
Fighting has accelerated across Afghanistan amid ongoing peace talks between the Taliban and the U.S. in Doha, Qatar.
The talks are currently on a single-day break, Suhail Shaheen, the spokesman for the Taliban’s Qatar office, said in a tweet.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.