6 Afghan soldiers killed in suicide car bombing
Taliban-claimed assault comes amid ongoing peace talks in Doha
At least six Afghan soldiers were killed in a Taliban-claimed suicide car bombing in the northern Balkh province on Thursday, an official statement confirmed.
The country’s Defense Ministry said in a statement that the insurgents blew-up a car packed with explosives near an Afghan National Army base at around 4:30 a.m. local time (2400GMT). Confirming the death toll, it said three soldiers were wounded in the early morning assault.
Claiming responsibility for the deadly assault, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid tweeted that the base was completely overrun in this attack.
Earlier this week, the Taliban claimed killing an American soldier in neighboring Kunduz province with which the number of U.S. soldiers killed in Afghanistan this year surged to 20.
This comes amid ongoing rejuvenated yet fragile peace talks between the Taliban and the U.S. in the Qatari capital, Doha.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.