World, Americas

Pompeo: US told Taliban not to attack Americans

Top US diplomat made clear expectation for Taliban to not attack Americans, said State Dept. spokesperson

Servet Gunerigok   | 30.06.2020
Pompeo: US told Taliban not to attack Americans Spokesperson for the United States Department of State Morgan Ortagus answers the questions of the press during a press conference in Washington, United States. ( FILE PHOTO - Anadolu Agency )

WASHINGTON

US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo had a video conference with Taliban Deputy and chief negotiator Mullah Baradar, the State Department said Tuesday. 

The two men discussed Monday the implementation of the US-Taliban peace agreement, according to a statement by spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus.

"The Secretary made clear the expectation for the Taliban to live up to their commitments, which include not attacking Americans," said Ortagus, who did not provide information about reports of Russian payments to Taliban militants for targeting American troops in Afghanistan.

The New York Times reported late last week that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing coalition forces, including American troops in Afghanistan.

The Times said Trump and the White House National Security Council gathered in late March to discuss the matter and weighed several responses, including a diplomatic complaint to Moscow demanding an end to the practice and escalating a series of sanctions.

US President Donald Trump nor Vice President Mike Pence was briefed on the alleged Russian offer, according to the White House.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın