The US expressed deep concern Wednesday over the military coup in Gabon and called for the release of government officials.
"The United States is deeply concerned by evolving events in Gabon. We remain strongly opposed to military seizures or unconstitutional transfers of power," said State Department Spokesman Matthew Miller in a statement.
"We urge those responsible to release and ensure the safety of members of government and their families and to preserve civilian rule," he said.
The agency also called on all actors to show restraint and respect for human rights and to address their concerns peacefully through dialogue following the announcement of election results.
"We also note with concern the lack of transparency and reports of irregularities surrounding the election. The United States stands with the people of Gabon," said Miller.
The coup followed the announcement of official results showing President Ali Bongo winning a third term in office following the country’s election on Saturday.
The military, however, announced a cancellation of the results and the dissolution of the country’s institutions amid reports of gunfire in the capital Libreville.
Gabon is the latest country in Africa to experience a military takeover after members of Niger’s military seized power late last month.Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.