World, Africa

Ugandan military announces withdrawal from DR Congo

Troops were deployed in DR Congo for joint operation against ADF rebels since December last year

Hamza Kyeyune   | 17.05.2022
Ugandan military announces withdrawal from DR Congo FILE PHOTO

KAMPALA, Uganda

Uganda will pull out its troops from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) in two weeks, the military said on Tuesday, following a joint operation against the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels since December last year.

Uganda blames the ADF for three suicide bombings in the capital Kampala on Nov. 16, 2021, in which seven people lost their lives and more than 37 injured.

"Operation Shujaa will officially cease in about 2 weeks according to our original agreement,” Lt. Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the commander of land forces, said on Twitter.

"It was supposed to last for 6 months. Unless I get further instructions from our Commander-in-Chief or CDF (chief of defense forces), I will withdraw all our troops from DRC in 2 weeks,” Kainerugaba added.

No update was provided on the status of the operation against the ADF.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın