World, Africa

South Sudan registers first death from COVID-19

Health official said deceased, 51, high profile South Sudanese personality

Benjamin Takpiny   | 14.05.2020
South Sudan registers first death from COVID-19

JUBA, South Sudan

South Sudan registered its first death from the COVID-19 virus Thursday, according to undersecretary in the health ministry Makur Matur Koriom.

Koriom said the deceased was a 51-year-old high profile South Sudanese personality but did not provide any additional information.

South Sudan eased lockdown restrictions last week despite an increase in cases of the virus.

The country is also resuming regional travel, according to a statement after a meeting between President Salva Kiir and deputies.

“Regional flights and road transport shall resume but details shall be communicated by the high-level task force on COVID-19,” it said.

South Sudan confirmed 28 new cases of COVID-19 Thursday, bringing the total to 231 of those diagnosed in the young East African nation.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın