Morocco says dismantled Daesh cell
Morocco says six suspects had been detained in the northern city of Tangier
By Khaled Majdoub
Moroccan authorities have broken up a Daesh cell in the North African country, according to the Moroccan Interior Ministry.
In a statement on Wednesday, the ministry said six suspects had been detained in the northern city of Tangier for links to the Daesh terrorist group.
The ministry said the suspects were involved in assaults against several people in the city and were “plotting assaults to harm the country’s security and stability."
According to the ministry, the cell had links to another cell that had been dismantled by Moroccan authorities earlier this month in the cities of Tangier and Meknes.
Late last year, Moroccan security forces arrested two people in the city of Fez for suspected links to the Daesh terrorist group. Four suspected members of the same cell were arrested in late October.
In November, Interior Minister Abdelouafi Laftit said around 1700 Moroccan nationals were fighting in conflict zones overseas, including 929 fighting with Daesh group.