6 killed as al-Shabaab militants attack hotel in Kenya
Buildings at Dusit complex have been secured, says Interior Cabinet Secretary
By Andrew Wasike, Magdalene Mukami
At least six people were killed Tuesday when al-Shabaab militants attacked an upscale hotel in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.
Authorities said five people died in a restaurant at the Dusit D2 Hotel and another died at a local hospital.
The incident took place when the attackers blew up their vehicle outside the hotel complex.
Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack via radio. The Somalia-based al Qaeda-linked terror group has previously carried out a number of attacks in Kenya.
The Daily Nation newspaper quoted Kenya’s Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred
He said the country is now safe and urged Kenyans to carry on with their activities.
The Somali government, which has faced attacks from the al-Shabaab militant group for years, condemned the attack in Nairobi.
“This heinous act of terror, which routinely targets innocent people, once again reveals the hideous face of terrorism,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
The Somalia government also extended its condolences to the families of those killed and wished a speedy recovery to the wounded.
Somalia also reaffirmed its full solidarity with the government of Kenya in its war against terrorism.
Kenya contributes troops to the African Union peacekeeping mission in Somalia which has weakened al-Shabaab, which has been fighting to overthrow the Somali government for years.