Asia - Pacific

Thai junta still keen on single internet gateway

Reports say junta chief has affirmed plan still on, among other signs that point to strengthening of online surveillance in country

Ekip  | 22.10.2015 - Update : 22.10.2015
Thai junta still keen on single internet gateway

Krung Thep

By Max Constant

BANGKOK

Despite earlier assurances by Thai authorities that a "single internet gateway" project to control online content had been cancelled, the junta leader has appeared to suggest otherwise.

Local media reported Thursday that junta chief-cum-prime minister General Prayuth Chan-ocha had affirmed that the plan - which critics have named The Great Firewall -- is still on, among other signs that point to a strengthening of online surveillance in the country.

“You say we should not have the single gateway, but can you prevent your group from writing things that defame the nation and government?” Chan-ocha told local reporters Wednesday, according to Khaosod. 

“If you cannot, then don’t tell me what method should be used.”

The gateway came to the public's attention at the end of September when a cabinet meeting document emerged online urging administrators to set up a system that could be used as a device to control inappropriate websites along with the flow of news and information from overseas.

Following a June 30 cabinet meeting, instructions were repeatedly delivered in July and August by the cabinet to the Information and Communications Technology ministry to push for the realization of the project.

As the plan grew, the public reacted with dismay and tens of thousands of comments criticizing the proposal began to fill the internet. 

Shadowy cyber-activists also caused at least six government websites to crash Sept. 30.

Taken aback by the strong reaction, the government denied that the project had entered the implementation stage, saying that it was just an idea floated during a cabinet meeting.

And then on Oct. 15, Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, in charge of economic affairs, said during an economic forum in Bangkok that the single gateway plan had been scrapped. 

“We will not talk about this anymore. If we say we won’t do it, we won’t do it,” he underlined.

After Wednesday's apparent reversal, cyber-activists -- acting under a clandestine group called Thailand F5 cyber Army --  announced a cyber-war on government websites starting Thursday morning.

They even warned private sector operations linked to government servers to transfer them to safe places before the planned assault.

Despite this, as of Thursday afternoon, all government websites were still accessible and there was no obvious signs of cyber-attacks.

Outside of the gateway, other factors appear to point to a strengthening of government control on Thailand's online network.

Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan announced Tuesday the creation of a new Army Cyber Center with the aim of protecting the monarchy and “keeping track of information in media and on social media and sorting them systematically”.

Also, according to asiancorrespondent.com, a set of cyber laws are in the process of being voted on by the military-appointed national assembly. 

These bills aim to “prepare Thailand for the digital economy”, but also include passages that enable widespread online surveillance and prosecution against website owners.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.
Related topics
Bu haberi paylaşın