Statoil acquired participating interests in two offshore frontier blocks, including one operatorship in South Africa, the company announced on Thursday.
Norwegian energy company said that it completed a transaction with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production South Africa Limited, acquiring a 35 percent interest.
Operator ExxonMobil retained 40 percent interest, while Impact Africa held 25 percent.
The license covers approximately 45,000 square kilometers in water depths up to 3,000 meters.
Statoil also completed a transaction with OK Energy Ltd, acquiring 90 percent interest and operatorship. The remaining 10 percent interest is held by OK Energy.
The license covers approximately 9,300 square kilometers.
By Murat Temizer