CAIRO (AA) - Cairo Airport authorities late Sunday prevented the elder son of ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi, Osama, from traveling for the second time in less than 24 hours, a high-ranking security source at the airport said.
Osama was due to take off to Malaysia, but he was prevented from completing his travel procedures at the airport, the source added.
"Airport authorities had received Osama's passport and asked him to wait until they make inquiries at a sovereign agency, but this agency had not responded until Osama's plane took off," the source said.
Osama was not on any travel ban lists, the source said. "He is not criminally wanted either," he added.
The source said the son of the ousted president was well treated at the airport, but authorities had to stop his travel procedures because of the lack of response from the security agency.
Osama was prevented from travelling earlier in the day, but later he said airport authorities had told him that banning him from travel was a mere "procedural mistake".
"The authorities had denied the presence of orders from any sovereign authorities for preventing me from travelling," Osama told Anadolu Agency as he left the airport earlier.
Osama had arrived the airport early on Sunday to travel to Malaysia where he would have attended an educational course related to his PhD thesis.
He had earlier told Anadolu Agency that he would have spent a few days for the course in Malaysia, denying reports about links between his travel and the trial of his father.
Morsi, Egypt's first elected president, is due to appear in court on Monday to face charges of inciting the killing of demonstrators outside the presidential palace in Cairo in December last year.
By Mahmoud al-Husseini