SANAA
By Mohamed al-Samei
At least two people were killed and 30 injured late Sunday in a fresh attack by Shiite Houthi rebels on the flashpoint Yemeni town of Dammaj.
"The Houthi group tried to storm Al-Mannaa village near the Salafist Hadith House [in Dammaj] yesterday, but failed despite its use of heavy weapons, including tanks," Salafist activist Abu Ismail al-Wadie told Anadolu Agency.
Hadith House is a prominent Salafist seat of learning where at least 4,000 students, including hundreds of foreigners, receive religious studies.
Ten houses were destroyed in the attack, while scores of injured are in dire need of medical supplies, al-Wadie said.
Since 2011, the northern Yemeni town of Dammaj has seen several rounds of fighting between the Shiite rebels and Salafist militants, which have left dozens dead.
A presidential mediation committee has so far been unable to enforce a ceasefire between the warring sides.
Salafist figures accuse the Houthis of besieging the only Salafist-controlled town in Yemen's Shiite-majority Saada province, while the Houthis claim they are trying to flush out foreign extremist elements.
englishnews@aa.com.tr